Sunday, February 21, 2010

7.3 Miles in Topanga = a click in my brain!

When I first signed up with "Team In Training" to go hiking and help raise money for the "Leukemia & Lymphoma Society" (LLS), I did it to get to know new people, climb on top of some great mountains for some awesome views, and to do some good for society at the same time. Or so I thought...

It was not until the hike we did yesterday in Topanga Canyon that my brain clicked into a place I had not been in a while, because I try to avoid the subject:
I wanted to bring my mom back to life... and that was the true and real reason I signed up for this all along!

I never really had made this connection before as my mom had not died of any form of blood cancer, but it still was cancer. Now, anyone that has had anyone in their family die of a cancer knows that there is always the hope in back of anyones mind, that maybe if more research had been done on this specific form of cancer, a life of a loved one could have been saved!

It really sucks loosing people, especially good friends that are family. I wish for nobody to have to go through the pain and hurt a cancer patient and their loved ones go through... Ever!!! That is why I believe strongly in the work of LLS! They have achieved major breakthroughs in the research of cancer. I have met people that would not have been able to be alive today without the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's help!

I know that it is hard to grasp things as a whole in our world. For most it is easy to not care about people dying, that they did not know. Yet, so many have loved ones that are sick or have died of this crazy disease:

If you have someone you know that had battled with cancer of any kind, please help me in my efforts to raise money for LLS. For a donation on your behalf I will embroid the name of that person you know into the shirt I will be wearing to climb Half Dome. I will honor that person with every step I take to the top of the mountain sending them strength for their recovery or in my moms case, honoring her name for the great woman that she was!

Thank you!
:0) Frieda Online



No comments:

Post a Comment